Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Session 2: Norris Clarke

Hello! I am still in Manila and I will be back to Davao on Saturday 10AM. So for your session 2 last week, you saw Fr. Norris W. Clarke, SJ discussing the "self" and eudaimonia and the value of conscience and its relations to human dignity. Fr. Clarke is a Jesuit philosopher based in Fordham University, New York. He is a famous Thomist thinker of our time. He went to Ateneo de Manila last 1998 to give a series of lectures on various philosophical topics, which were recorded on video for purposes of showing these lectures in the classroom.

EXERCISE
For this session, you are required to post your COMMENTS by clicking the button below. Write one or two paragraph about what you have learned from Fr. Clarke. Please write your name and your email address so I can credit to your name the grades you earned for this exercise.

1 Comments:

At July 2, 2004 at 7:42 PM, Blogger Jay Jaboneta said...

From the tapes I've learned about conscience (and how it is a judgment of practical reason) and how Thomist philosophers like Fr. Norris Clarke view ethics and the role conscience plays in human life. In the first tape, Fr. Clarke talks about conscience and ethics, how these two things are intertwined and also about the continuing debate as to whether conscience is a voice from God or something that is only human. I believe Fr. Clarke when he said that conscience in a way determines who I want to become and who I want to be as a human person, it directs me to become a good person. Somehow, my conscience plays that integral role in my life as a beacon, guiding me to the right path though sometimes I need to qualify whether it is really right. I learned Conscience comes from a deeper source, we, humans can never really know for sure where or what it is.

In the second tape, Fr. Clarke talks about Thomist eudaimonism, eudaimonism coming from the Greek word eudaimonia meaning happiness and refers to the conception of ethics that puts happiness and the complete life of the individual at the center of ethical concern. Fr. Clarke expounds on the eudaimonism of St. Thomas Aquinas, as St. Thomas' works deeply touch the questions of ethics and conscience, and how these two affect human happiness and life in general. As we humans are creations of God, it is inevitably innate in us, in me, to be longing for what is good, that is what will make me happy. And as I continue my journey towards the ultimate meaning of life, of my life, I must turn to God, his teachings, to do what is good, because only by doing so will I find happiness and peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home